Monday, October 31, 2011

IFMA's World Workplace 2011

Due to technology I'm staring this entry some ~39,000 feet above the earth, returning to the Bluegrass State from a week in Phoenix, AZ where there was some business meetings, some networking, some fun and a much learning at my professional organization's annual conference.

I am a member of the International Facility Management Association a.k.a. IFMA, and I hold the credential of Certified Facility Manager or CFM which is a certification earned through practice, knowledge and testing of all aspects of the built environment. I have been a member of the Louisville Chapter for 20 years or so.

My employer has been very supportive and encouraging about my ongoing membership and participation over the years and has supported me with annual dues the time to be active and participate through the many roles I've held over the years, from committees through all board positions. Financial support for travel and seminar fees has been valuable to me and I hope to them as well.

The conference is 3 to 4 days when facility managers from across the world gather to learn, from each other, from industry experts and to build networks of knowledge about the global workplace's similarities and differences. The experience was very well summed up by the associations current Chair when during her opening conference said "...it's a week when you can talk about space utilization... and people are really interested!"

I've had the opportunity to hear many great keynote speakers at these conferences, some well-known, some not so much, most were very interesting and this year was no exception. The closing keynote speaker this year was a gentleman by the name of Christopher Gardner not exactly a household name but a man with a captivating personal story. Chris recorded his story in the book "The Pursuit of HappYness" which was then made into the movie by the same name which starred Will Smith. I haven't seen the movie, even though I remember the trailer, I'm reading the book and plan to see the movie after that. What an amazing story, from homelessness to riches through perseverance, sacrifice, and dedication to one's dream but more than anything else, a promise he made to himself at a very young age... to be there for his kids, above all else.

No comments: